Leh Film Festival: To promote tourism in Ladakh, the first Himalayan Film Festival is starting from today (24 September 2021) in Leh. It is being inaugurated by Anurag Thakur, Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting and Sports and Youth Affairs. Many producers and directors of Bollywood will also participate and make this film festival memorable.
Apart from Ladakh’s Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur, directors Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Anupama Chopra, producers of the 1942-A Love Story film and Siddharth Malhotra and Vishnuvardhan, who played the lead roles in the film Shershah, will also be present at the inauguration. This first Himalayan film festival will last for 5 days.
Part of the Amrit Festival of Independence
The film festival will begin with the screening of ‘Sher Shah’, a film on Major Vikram Batra, who was martyred in the Kargil war. This film festival is part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’. The first edition of the Himalayan Film Festival will begin today on 24 September 2021 in Leh, Ladakh and will continue till 28 September 2021.
Excited to have ‘Shershaah’ as the opening film at the first prestige, Himalayan Film Festival 🙏🏼
Congratulations to the team behind the making of this festival, wishing you all great success. https://t.co/avFxxmcPtJ
— Sidharth Malhotra (@SidMalhotra)
September 22, 2021
Movies in multiple languages will be shown
Films of many languages will be screened in this film festival. These include Ishu made in Assamese language, Crossing Bridge made in Arunachali, Chittagong made in Bengali, Left or Right made in Hindi, Mane De Phere made in Himachali, Lajadol made in Ladakhi, Kima Laj made in Mizo. Not only this, Manipuri and English language films will be screened during the festival.
Aamir Khan’s film 3 Idiots too
Aamir Khan’s film 3 Idiots will also be a highlight of the film festival. Some of its shooting has been done in Leh itself. Preparations have been completed for this festival. According to media reports, there is special enthusiasm among the local people about this five-day festival, which is going to start from today.
The Himalayan Film Festival is being organized under the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ to commemorate 75 years of India’s independence.
First Himalayan Film Festival: At a Glance
- The five-day festival will be held at the Indus Culture Center in Leh. The objective of the festival is to showcase the filmmaking talent of all Himalayan states and union territories.
- The festival will screen Shershaah, a biopic on Kargil war hero Captain Vikram Batra, at the opening ceremony, while it will conclude with the screenplay of The Shepherds of Glacier.
- The Himalayan Film Festival will also include documentary and short film competitions with the intention of spotting talented filmmakers and encouraging new talent to be a part of it.
- The Himalayan Film Festival is being organized in collaboration with the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the Directorate of Film Festivals.
- The film festival will see active participation of local filmmakers and showcase talent from various Himalayan states and union territories.
cinema will be encouraged
It is noteworthy that the Himalayan Film Festival is envisioned to bring together filmmakers from the Himalayan region and institutionalize them. This will lead to better results in film production in the Himalayan regions. Films made in the Himalayan regions and other states of the country will be screened during this five-day film festival.