The new Chief Minister of Gujarat Bhupendra Patel will take oath of office and secrecy as the 17th Chief Minister of the state at 2.20 pm today (September 13, 2021). Union Home Minister Amit Shah will attend the swearing-in ceremony. Bhupendra Patel will take oath alone today.
Earlier on September 12 evening, Bhupendra Patel met Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat at Raj Bhavan and staked claim to form the government. Bhupendra Patel was unanimously elected the leader of the BJP Legislature Party in Ahmedabad on 12 September.
Bhupendra Patel’s name proposed
Chief Minister Vijay Rupani proposed the name of Bhupendra Patel. CM Rupani had announced his resignation from the post of Chief Minister on September 11. Most of the 112 BJP MLAs in the 182-member assembly were present in the meeting.
Strong hold in Patel community
He is considered to have a strong hold in the Patel community. Bhupendra Patel, who has a land base, can be successful in cultivating Patel vote bank for BJP. Bhupendra Patel, a resident of Shilaj area of Ahmedabad, has done Diploma in Civil Engineering.
Bhupendra Patel: At a Glance
• Bhupendra Patel is known as a soft spoken worker, who has traveled from the municipal level leader to the top post in the politics of the state. He contested the Ghatlodiya assembly seat in the state for the first time in 2017 and won by over 1.17 lakh votes, a record in that election.
• Known as ‘Dada’ among his supporters, Bhupendra Patel is considered close to Anandiben Patel, former Chief Minister of Gujarat and Governor of Uttar Pradesh. The assembly they represent is part of the Gandhinagar Lok Sabha seat, from where Union Home Minister Amit Shah is an MP.
• Bhupendra Patel has been the chairman of Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority (AUDA) from 2015 to 2017. Prior to this, he was the chairman of the standing committee of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation, the largest urban body of Gujarat, from 2010 to 2015.
• Patel, who holds a diploma in civil engineering, was active in local politics before contesting the assembly elections and was a member of the Ahmedabad district’s Memnagar municipality and became its president twice.
• He is also the trustee of Sardardham Vishwa Patidar Kendra, an organization dedicated to the socio-economic development of the Patidar community. Bhupendra Patel is the MLA from Ghatlodia. Bhupendra Patel has previously been the chairman of the Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority (AUDA).